Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Weekend

I finally spent the weekend at the deer lease with my two guys. I was assured that we would be the only people out there at the bunkhouse. Lee and I watched a serial killer movie on t.v. until midnight on Friday. Around 1:00 am I tried waking Lee and I whispered "I think I hear something!" He said that it was just a mouse. I replied that it just turned the light on...and that is how you get a husband to move quickly :) Turns out one of the other guys on the lease came in for an early morning hunt. When Lee came back, I told him that I would be awake FOREVER. We got up very early Saturday morning for a duck hunt - it was extremely windy and cold. All three of us sat on a big rock and waited for the sun to rise. As soon as it did, the sky filled with ducks coming off the pond. Lee spent quite a bit of time in search of a duck that got away. Sean and Gracie enjoyed exploring. The remainder of the day was spent hiking and napping. That evening we climbed a hill to wait for the ducks to come in to the pond for the evening - one of my favorite sounds is to hear ducks fly close overhead as they are getting ready to land. I told Lee that I felt like I was watching an omni movie choreographed by God. The sunset was off to our left, the ducks and pond were out in front of us, and the red winged black birds were all flying together in the midair dance that they do. We just watched it all play out. It was beautiful.
On our way down the hill after sunset, we met some skunks on the trail....5 in all. One of Sean's greatest fears has been skunks - ever since he was three. That's when Gracie was sprayed repeatedly by a skunk at Grandma's house - what a mess! When my sister asked if he was afraid of Flower on Bambi, he said "No, only the ones that are real and don't talk." Well, Sean faced his fears and I think he may be over it now. Luckily, we were not sprayed!
We spent this morning shooting skeet and learning to use the BB gun.

Life lesson - never kick a cactus!



4 comments:

CDJ said...

I love the cactus lesson! And may I say, that you wear the "field & stream" look well! If you're cute in a ball cap with a gun, you're just plain cute.

jessy said...

Oh, bless his heart. I've always wondered what a cactus poke feels like, but I'll head the warning and not kick one.
My dad tells stories from the lease of rats so big they probably could turn on a light

jessy said...

That should be "heed." It is too early in the morning to spell.

Glenna Workman said...

Is this your Sarah Palin picture
;-)