Monday, September 7, 2009

Waiting Game

We are eagerly anticipating the arrival of a Gulf Fritillary in Sean's bug cage.
Last week, Sean collected two caterpillars from our passion vine.I love the flowers.



One of the caterpillars is at the top of the photo - he has spines and is quite ugly.



We awoke one morning to find the chrysalis - very exciting. We spent the day studying butterflies and using our identification books. Now, we have two chrysalis' (hanging from the top of the cage). Hopefully, by Wednesday, we will have at least one butterfly.
Truly miraculous!





3 comments:

Christina said...

That is cool! We found a ton of catipillars this weekend. Savannah asked if she could keep one so we could have a pet butterfly.
Being the uncool mom that I am, I said no.
How did you know your catipillars were ready to make the transformation? I was afraid we would just sit and stare at the same old unchanged catipillar for months!

Kathy said...

I didn't know. I just wanted them off our plant :) They take up to two weeks to grow and molt four or five times before it molts into the chrysalis. Ours just happened to be at the end. One had even just molted. Supposedly, it takes a week before they emerge as a butterfly. We shall see. Savannah would probably enjoy "From Caterpillar to Butterfly" kids science book.

Christina said...

Good information. I will have to check that out.

Thanks!